If you are concerned about gum recession and other problems related to your oral health, Dr. Trujillo can provide several recommendations to prevent receding gums and periodontal disease. Some of the best ways to prevent gum recession include:
• Using the proper brushing technique - Applying too much pressure or using the wrong toothbrush can contribute to gum recession.
• Refraining from clenching or grinding the teeth - Many people clench and grind their teeth out of habit. Doing so can increase the risk of gum recession.
• Seeking treatment for misalignment - Crooked teeth or a misaligned bite can put pressure on certain areas of the mouth and cause gum damage.
• Breaking habits that irritate the gums - Refraining from smoking or chewing on hard objects will reduce your risk of gum recession.
• Wearing a nightguard - Protect your teeth and gums by wearing a nightguard while sleeping. This can be critical for those who grind and clench their teeth.
If you are concerned about your oral hygiene and think you may need treatment for periodontal disease or gum recession, we can help. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Trujillo in Merced, CA today!